This Foreign Policy Centre and Justice for Journalists Foundation event seeks to examine the crucial role played by journalists in covering the protest movement in Belarus and the human rights abuses being perpetrated by the Lukashenko Government. It will seek to examine the role played by journalists, bloggers and ordinary citizens of Belarus in documenting and sharing the situation on the ground. It will highlight the role played by independent media organisations and websites outside Belarus in clarifying and amplifying those messages. It will then look at how the authorities in Belarus are targeting journalists, citizen journalists and information about the ongoing situation. The event will also discuss what more the international community can do to protect journalists and others covering the protest movement and respond to the growing repression in Belarus.
- Natallia Radina, Editor-in-Chief of Charter 97
- Andrei Sannikov, exiled opposition activist and former political prisoner
- Petras Auštrevičius MEP, Member of the European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee and Belarus Delegation
- Catherine West MP, Shadow Minster for Europe and the Americas
- Sarah Clarke, Head of Europe and Central Asia, ARTICLE 19
Date: Monday, 19 October 2020
Time: 16:00 – 17:30 BST
Recording of the ZOOM event is available here.
Image by CastleMound under (CC).